Delhi, Delhi, India
Red sandstone & white marble
Architecture and City Planning
Conceived as the largest mosque of the Indian subcontinent (later surpassed by Aurawgzib's Jami mosque in Lahore), the Jami mosque of Delhi was built as the congregational mosque of Shah Jahan's new city of Shahjahanabad. Located on a high ridge near Shah Jahan's palace-fort (now known as the Red Fort), the mosque is raised on a high plinth and approached by steep flights of steps on the north, east and south sides. The prayer chamber has a prominent central portal, and is surmounted by three bulbous white marble domes and framed with towering minarets. Prayer hall: 27x61 m
courtyard: 100 m sq.
© Saif Haq
Users must request permission from the copyright holder for all use in publications, including theses and dissertations.
Jama Masjid, ca. 1650-1656, Delhi, Delhi, India, TTU Arch Design Images. Image Source: Saif Haq. https://archimage.lib.ttu.edu/items/show/18198.
This item has no relations.